This is not a time to sit still and wait until ‘everything is normal again.’ This is a time to use your isolation to intently think long and deep about who you are as a professional, what your company REALLY does, and what the world should know about your brand – either professional or corporate. Get clear, and get ready to make sure your voice, your talents, your value and your message are heard, not silenced ….revealed, not suppressed…made visible, not extinguished…during and long after this temporary cloistering.
Without self promotion, something terrible happens – nothing. Being the best kept secret in the world is nothing to be proud of, unless you are in special ops or other covert line of work….If your breakout strategy depends on waiting to be discovered and rewarded based on merit alone, bring a lunch and several good reads – you will be waiting a long while. You have just this one life to live, and without mastering the fine art of self promotion, it is likely to be small and insignificant.
In this time of self quarantine, there is plenty of opportunity for self reflection and self direction. Take the chance to rebrand yourself, or refresh your brand, and then let the whole world know how you will be representing yourself and using your talents once we emerge. Start today.
So, why must you toot your own horn?
Why do you need to believe that self promotion is one of the key factors for fast tracking your goals? One of the essential differentiating drivers that separates high achievers and experts from their contemporaries is their willingness to promote themselves. They understand that tooting their own horn is a mandatory condition for success. They have a healthy belief about the role of self promotion in their lives and careers. As a result, they choose to share their gifts and talents rather than suppress and cover them.
Let’s be clear. This is not about a sleazy, cheesy, narcissistic blowhard approach. It is not about over-inflating your abilities, skills and successes. We are talking about promoting yourself with dignity, class and creativity. There is an art to everything. Tooting your own horn is no exception.
The ability to influence people without irritating them is the most profitable art form known to man. Make mastering the skill of character driven self promotion a primary goal. The master self promoter is an artist who can paint word pictures into the hearts of others as skillfully as Rembrandt could blend colors on a canvas. They are the maestros that can play a symphony in human emotions as effectively as Beethoven could tickle the keys of a harpsichord.
A master self promoter is a strategist at influencing human behavior. They can marshal the thoughts of an audience as well as Alexander the Great could direct his armies to conquer the Persian Empire. A master self promoter is a character analyst who knows their audience as well as Einstein knew mathematics.
While it may be true the world could beat a path to your door if you make a better mouse trap, you must face the music the BIG rush on your business or demand for your skills will not begin until you have properly, professionally promoted your wares. Without a doubt, there are an infinite number of ways to self promote and increase your visibility. There are also essential rules to doing it right:
1. Be authentic – most people are mimics. Their thoughts belong to others. Their passions are from someone else’s quotations. To do this right, decide who to be, and go be it.
2. Be creative – it is important to always be clear we can infuse every facet of our lives and business with some form of creativity. The realm of self promotion is not exempt. Copying what everyone else is doing is a big no-no.
3. Share ideas – your ideas demand you be courageous. Your audience needs your big, bold and courageous ideas. When you promote big ideas, you give people something to cheer about. People promote the things that make them feel good; they do that for and with the people who make them feel good. Your great ideas increase those feelings. Your big ideas will inspire hope and thought. If they are really good, they will inspire action.
4. Promote other people first – the best way to promote your own visibility is to promote other people and their big ideas. Share the brilliant posts of others; point a link in their direction. Collaborate with them. They will publicly thank you and return the favor. You will establish yourself as a resource and build relationships with others in your industry. This increases your network and eventually, your net worth.
5. Support a cause – one of the best ways to get people excited about your ideas is to support and promote a cause. You can align your altruistic self with the practical need to promote your work.
It is rare to find people with all the equipment needed for success. As a general rule, people have strengths and flat spots. Broadly speaking, when it comes to self promotion, your success will depend on two things: your ability to get, and your ability to hold.
All around you, there are people you know who are masters at getting what they want – money, position, influence, power, customers…..anything! But, when they get them, something goes wrong. They fumble the ball, make a series of bad judgment calls, become arrogant, complacency creeps in, they take things for granted, and, as a result, all gains quickly become losses.
The same is true with self promotion. Your ability to sell yourself and get the attention of your core audience is one thing; your ability to hold their attention, to maintain their loyalty, respect and admiration over the long term is everything.
So Toot Your Horn
Regardless of age, position, business acumen, we all must understand how essential self promotion is to success and how we must use it to increase in influence and reach. It is inescapable.
The good news – we all have a chance to toot our own horn. We all have the right and the responsibility to showcase our talents and ideas. That is why your challenge today is to
- Change the paradigm;
- Think of yourself as a brand requiring clear, consummate self promotion;
- Actively look for ways to toot your own horn, as “ain’t nobody gonna toot it for you”!
Scott Rivers is the Managing Director of Cerca Talent+, a talent agency for the Diagnostic and Life Science Industries. Scott’s recruiting experience extends into the areas of Diagnostics, Life Sciences, Oncology and Genetics. His team manages recruitment for all levels within the commercial area of these businesses.
As a leader who has worked at all levels of commercial, medical sales and global marketing, Scott is an intense professional who works with organizations to fine tune talent branding. If you are a leader looking to expand your team with professionals who are focused on delivering work in which they take pride, and you can be proud of, ever day, then Scott would be privileged to help you in the process. Having been a professional in the fields where you focus, Scott knows the ins and outs of the companies, the business and the customers you are working to come alongside.
Cerca Talent+ is a full-service Executive Search Firm with a strategic focus in the the areas of Clinical Diagnostics, Molecular Diagnostics and Oncology, Genomic and Genetic Medicine. Our clients choose to work with Cerca because of our deep understanding of the industries we serve. They continue to work with us based on our extensive market knowledge, vast connections and quality of results.
That’s a good match for any company. Partner with the group that can talk shop and gain rapport with the pros who will lead your business into the future. Email Scott Rivers today at
Gary Ryan Blair